The 'Sconset School

 

 


 
 

 

The one-room schoolhouse on School Street, built in 1916, served the children of the year-round 'Sconset community for their primary education, "one to four," as many locals remember; older students were bused to town to attend the Academy Hill School, an occasion that introduced many young 'Sconseters for the first time to their Nantucket contemporaries. Blanche Rogers, wife of' 'Sconset fisherman George Rogers, was one of the longest-serving school mistresses. The schoolhouse later became the 'Sconset police and fire station.

 

 


'Sconset schoolhouse
P3991

 

 
 
 
 


A digital exhibition by the Nantucket Historical Association