96 Main Street
Located at 96 Main Street, The Hadwen House is a Greek Revival mansion built in 1845 by whaling merchant and silver retailer William Hadwen.
Hadwen purchased the property on the corner of Pleasant and Main in 1844, and commissioned local builder Frederick Brown Coleman, "an artisan who specialized in intricate carvings and designs for pillars," to construct the two-and-a-half storied clapboard house with a five-bayed façade, colossal pilasters, and a pedimented ionic portico.
The building and its twin Greek Revival mansion at 94 Main Street were the most ostentatious private dwellings the island had ever seen, and a symbol of the wealth and prosperity of the island's leading citizens.
The first floor parlors display the opulent furnishings and grand lifestyle that had come to replace the island's once dominant sober Quaker aesthetic. The imposing structure was donated to the Nantucket Historical Association in 1965 by Jean Satler Williams.
Visitors are also invited to enjoy the ground's Victorian gardens, which are carefully maintained by the Nantucket Garden Club.