Doris Riker Beer
Frank Swift Chase
Maud Millicent Clapp
Mary Cowles Clark
Anne Ramsdell Congdon
Hezekiah Anthony Dyer
Henry Stephens Eddy
Annie Barker Folger
Gertrude & Hanna Monaghan
Mary Sarg Murphy
Walter Gilman Page
Jane Brewster Reid
Lillian Gertrude (Smith) Rockwood
Virginia Guild Sharp
Ruth Haviland Sutton
Miscellaneous & Looking Forward
The Nantucket Art Colony came to life in the heart of maritime Nantucket - among the shacks, shanties, boathouses, and other old buildings that were the relics of the island’s long-vanished whaling past.
Beginning in the early 1920s, Florence Lang converted many of these wharf shacks into studio spaces available for rent to artists in the summer months: Harborview, Wateredge, the Scallop, the Barnacle, Sailloft, Barnsite, and more. Frank Swift Chase, the painter and teacher who would become the “dean of Nantucket artists,” arrived in 1920. In 1924, Lang opened the Easy Street Gallery, converting an old cooper’s shop into the island’s first modern art gallery. Soon a group of artists, known as the “waterfront artists,” arrived to study with Chase, to occupy the wharf studios, and to exhibit their work in August at the Easy Street Gallery- the Nantucket Art Colony was born. With the “esprit de corps” of the waterfront painters, and the influx of many talented visiting artists, the Art Colony flourished for the next two decades, bringing about a rebirth of the waterfront and a transformation at the heart of the island’s identity from a whaling port dependent on the sea to a haven and harbor for the arts.
The exhibition opened on May 26, 2007, and will remain on display through November 12, 2007, in the Peter Foulger Gallery, Whaling Museum, 13 Broad Street.
The Nantucket Art Colony, 1920-45 is a collaborative exhibition presented by the Nantucket Historical Association and the Artists Association of Nantucket, made possible with the generous support of the Nantucket Art Colony Honor Committee, and created with the assistance of many.
Exhibition Sponsors and Credits.